Saturday, September 10, 2011

much mo betta

I may or may not have lost my mind in Greatest Grains and the Target grocery section last night.  Perhaps I might have rather excessively enjoyed the pleasure of spending part of my first paycheck in 9 months on food so good it counts in my mind as medicine.  I'm not saying, one way or another...just maybe!  ;-)


In addition to lots of great veggies and fruits and a big ol' bottle of organic olive oil, I have fun new-to-me things that I've long wanted to try.  Some of them include:


  • Ezekiel bread - it's not made from flour (and heaven knows I've been learning in the past few years that flour is not my friend); it's made from the ingredients listed in Ezekiel 4:9:  "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."  It is sprouted grains, organic, and a complete protein.  It was in the freezer when I bought it, so that's where I put it when I got home and will just bust out the pieces, one at a time.  I forgot this morning that I had it (you're not surprised, if you've read long enough to know how much I just can't think first thing in the morning!) so my toast was the whole grain whole wheat left from last week.  I'm quite curious to check this stuff out.
  • Almond milk - just let me say, this is about a hundred times better than coconut milk.  Much better taste, much better texture.  And it has more calcium and anti-oxidants than cow's milk, with just 7 grams of sugar instead of the 11 or 12 in cow's milk (and hey...only 60 calories per cup...WOW).  My palate does not yet prefer it to my beloved skim milk, but I don't think the switch will be as difficult as the coconut milk was being.
  • Kefir  and Kombucha - two drinks I heard constantly highly praised while I was living at JPUSA.  The first is a yogurt beverage and the second is a fermented tea-based drink; both are supposed to offer all manner of digestive and other health benefits.  I intend to use the kefir for smoothies (bought a blender) and...well...just gulp the kombucha down in small bits (I am dreading the flavor of it, but willing to try it just to see.)  
It's not all perfection; I also picked up bacon to make my green beans ultimately yummy, and a stash of individual-size sweets for when I just gotta have one, and need to avoid eating enough for two armies.  Overall I am pretty stoked about what's going on in my kitchen.


This morning I will do my "Walk for Alzheimers" and tomorrow I will head for Chicago to get my bike and a decent pair of running shoes.  Great developments for getting more strongly back in the groove of the activity level I easily enjoyed in the city. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment