Monday, September 26, 2011

advance food prep and a mysteriously good run

Yesterday was a nice slow-paced day that gave me all manner of little opportunities to get ready for the week.  In little pockets of time here and there throughout the day, I blanched, peeled, sliced and froze a bunch of my nectarines and peaches so that they are smoothie-ready...and got some bananas ready too.  Cooked up a batch of steel-cut oats - hey, that's cooking real food!  You heat them to boiling, wait 5 minutes or so until they start to thicken, and then simmer them on low for 30 minutes.  HOLY COW!  But it fit into my "doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen a bit" routine like it wasn't even there, and oh golly those oats are yummy this morning.  Also blanched and froze some brussels sprouts, as there is no earthly way I could eat the whole huge bag I bought before they'd go bad. 


The rainy weather yesterday kept me off the bike - I'm bummed about not having test-driven my bike shorts yet.  But this morning I DID get to try out my new double-sided reversable sweat-wicking long-sleeved under-armor running shirt.  I love it!  Kept me reasonably warm and much less soggy.  And bonus:  the sleeves are way too long, which means I can pull my (always cold) hands up inside them.  Love it.  


I'm very puzzled about this morning's run.  Today was day one of:


5ish minutes warmup walk
2.5 minutes slower jog
5 minutes faster run
run 4 rounds of this
5ish minutes cooldown walk


I was determined to do it, but dreading it.  Was sure it would be almost beyond my limits.  But.  It wasn't?!  I mean, I did it...ran a lot further than I ever have (and my timing with counting seconds in my head and minutes on my fingers was dead-on perfect...weird...), ran pretty hard in the faster intervals, didn't even struggle all that much to regain more normal breathing on the slower rounds, stepped a little lighter in the second half of the run than I can ever recall having stepped before...WHAT THE HECK?!  Who advances on a Monday morning?!  


I'm not complaining...I just don't get it.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment