Thursday, February 9, 2012

yay for breakfast (more food pics, people)

I'm noticing that I'm getting quite food-oriented on the blog; it looks like that trend is going to continue a bit longer.  What can I say...all I do here is share my journey, and that's the focus for this passage.  


Last night I bagged up stuff to make green smoothies (there will be a whole other blog on that, later today or tomorrow, with pics and such) but I didn't want to start the morning with a smoothie, mostly because I love my hot breakfast.  So I decided to share with you in pictures what Karen's beloved breakfast looks like.  


Once a week, I cook up 2 servings of either old-fashioned oatmeal or steel-cut oats.  I stir in a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and stick it in a bowl in the fridge, to make my mornings go easier.  2 servings will last me a full week.  So, here we go...


 Roughly equal amounts:  oatmeal, and a mixture of dried cranberries, golden raisins, and walnuts (I love to use dates, too, but I'm out right now).
 Add coconut milk (more than seems initially necessary), stir well, and microwave 3-4 minutes, stirring somewhere around the 3 minute mark.
 

Here it is all heated up and stirred...I just wanted you to see how pretty it is before it gets all covered up...


The finished product:  on the side is 1/2 slice toast made from Ezekiel bread with Smucker's all-natural crunchy peanut butter on top.  Split the banana between the toast and the oatmeal.  Drinks are a bit of almond milk, bit of water, and huge mug of tea with locally grown honey (allergy prevention tactic).  And of course the wee cup 'o supplements - vitamins b and c and once a week prescription d (50,000 units), iron, echinacea, calcium with vitamin d, cinnamon, fish oil.


This is my beloved breakfast.  I love the warmth and the sweetness.  Not sure how I'd transition to cold smoothie so early in the morning - today, I'll try having that at lunch.  Which means...more piccies to come!


In other news, I am taking an online class tonight that I found on the food renegade site called "Healthy Whole Grains:  Soaking, Sprouting, and Sourdough."  I expect to have much info to share on that soon.  


Have a terrific Thursday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment