Thursday, February 9, 2012

green smoothie monster!!!

(These times of multiple blogs per day are part of why it's okay that I skip days, eh?)


So I promised you the green smoothie blog.  


Start with 2 cups unsweetened soy milk (mine happened to be organic).
 Add 4 cups greens (these are 2 bags of 4 cups greens I made up last night - roughly equal mixes of collards, spinach, and that superfood, kale).
 Ummm....it takes a bit of squishing to get them in there....
We're not done yet, I just thought you might enjoy seeing the green sludge....ewww.....
 Add 2 TBSP of flaxseed (another superfood...these are 2 bowls I made up last night)...
And frozen fruit:  1 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup each of mango, pineapple, red raspberries, and cherries, and 1 banana (so yeah, I only added one of these bowls...the other is for another day).
Blend.  My nifty new blender has a "frozen drinks" setting that pulses and, I think, changes directions, and it just goes until it's done.  Look at end product.  *don'tthinkpoop*
 Take a sip with slight trepidation, focusing on the *don'tthinkpoop* theme...
Ehhh...it'll do.  My taste is set for very sweet, and apparently greens cancel the very sweet of even as much as the maybe 3 cups of fruit in this thing (the naughty in me wants to work out some sweetening solutions).  It is very, very pulpy...as in, suck, chew, swallow.  Book puts it at around 400 calories, which is an appropriate lunch serving, though 6 cups of this stuff seems like A LOT to me (but 35 minutes into it, I'm 3/4 through as I write).

Yesterday I commented how cheap the bean dish was.  This is very NOT cheap.  I sat up late last night, using all those decimals and fractions I was so unhappy to learn in school, and determined that this smoothie ran me about $8.50.   Which could seem high, but factor in the 21 grams of fiber and sky-high nutrition.  I'd consider it at least as much "preventative medicine" as food, and by that standard, $8.50 is a reasonable price, I reckon. It's all in how you see it.


Now, for the adventure of returning to work and seeing what my stomach andotherdigestiveparts do with this little wonder...hmmm....







No comments:

Post a Comment