Wednesday, August 18, 2010

a prayer, and a midday summary

So, the point of COWS is that eating is a spiritual matter, not just a "rearranging the diet" matter.  Which means our aim is prayer and leaning hard into God, not obsessing.  To that end, a prayer, for those times when I'm not feeling spontaneous prayer:

Lord, I thank You for the gift of Your presence, and that You always welcome me in.

I thank You for the gift of this body, and for the miraculous way it works. 

I thank You for the gift of good food, and for the way You supply it for the nourishment of my body and even pleasure to my senses. 

I know that like sex and sunshine and so many other great gifts You give, food can be harmful to this body when used outside its proper context, or when made more important in my life than You. 

Lord You and I both know how often I live in that “outside the context” zone, where food is concerned.  Please break my heart today regarding the comfort, ease, and cavalier attitude I feel in staying there.  Thank You for loving me enough to leave me no peace there.   

Please teach me deep and true gratitude for this body, that I might treasure the gift enough to stop destroying it daily with my disobedience.

Please grant me the courage to see what I’m really looking for when I crave the binge.  Please grant me the strength to tell another of the COWS what I see.  Please grant me the fortitude to really repent.  Please teach me to cling to You above all other things.  ALL OTHER THINGS.

Most of all, please be glorified in my body, in my mind, and in my life.

In Jesus’ Name. 

Okay so thus far today I have had:

breakfast - toast, peanut butter, cup of skim milk, 1/2 cup of wild berry pomegranate juice, cup of hot green tea, sweetened with the pink stuff

no snack, cuz today is an early lunch day

lunch - 4 oz chicken breast cooked in a tiny bit of olive oil, baked sweet potato topped with 1/2 serving of nonfat greek yogurt (my first time trying it...I RECOMMEND as a good substitute for sour cream), killer gigantic half-plate pile of steamed broccoli with 1 tsp butter and sprinkled with parmesan, and half a cup of skim milk to drink

afternoon snack will be a hard-boiled egg and a baggie of baby carrots

Back sometime after dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment