Wednesday, March 6, 2013

take THAT, brady street hill!!!

Had to run a friend to the airport very early this morning.  It was the perfect opportunity - I already knew from last night that my bridge has too much snow and ice on it for a good run - so on the drive home I took a detour to drive up Brady Street hill to do a sidewalk check.  I was happy see that it was cleared enough for a run.

Oh, the Brady Street hill.  Truth is I started dreading the run as soon as I realized it was possible.  So BIG.  So long, so steep, so much.  Wahhh!!!  But what I know about that is:  it is possible.  All I have to do is make a choice, each step:  I will not stop. 

And...I did it.  Here in snowy March, far from the weather that lets me really get great outdoor exercise.  I kicked Brady Street hill's butt.  I mean...not by much.  I thought I was going to throw up, about a block from the top.  But all that matters is...it did not defeat me.  AHA, my worthy opponent!!  

And then followed the always-gratifying run down Main Street hill.  Love the way I can feel running downhill working in my thighs and butt.  Always, always, always makes me glad.  

This morning I am grateful for not falling.  There WERE a few bad spots after all - stuff you can't see from the car.  Where the snow has been melting and running off and freezing in perfect slickness on the pavement.  If I weren't the slow, careful, plodding runner that I am (and even slower and more careful than ever, this morning)...I'd have been down at least 3 times.  As it was, I just felt the little oopsie as my feet slid around a little.  No harm, no foul.  

BRING SPRING!  I am ready.  

No comments:

Post a Comment