Monday, July 25, 2011

pressing on

This week's run/walk routine is:


*brisk 5 minute walk to warm up
*run 9 minutes
*walk 2 minutes
*run 9 minutes
*walk 2 minutes
*run 8 minutes


...and then of course up the stairs to the 6th floor, back to my room.  I am regularly making it to the 4th floor now before I cut in and walk the hall to catch my breath so I can make it the other 2 stories. 


Happily this morning, no walkers passed me while I was "running" (which of course is actually JOGGING very, very slowly).  Last week there were TWO days when walkers sauntered by me as I ran.  Had to be intentional to not let that discourage me overly much.


My plan is to keep working this routine until I am running (jogging) for 30 full minutes 3 times a week.  And then once I don't need to walk at all, I can work on picking up speed a bit.  I'll probably do it in exactly the kind of intervals I have used for the walking/running routine.  I do recommend it highly...it has caused me to believe that almost anyone can run.  


Having said that, I am not aiming at being a "speed" runner - heck, even when I was sixteen, my "running as hard as I could" was depressingly slow as compared to the rest of the human race.  This is about loving my body enough to push it for health's sake, not about competing on a plane I don't even care about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment