Thursday, July 21, 2011

lil' skirmish won

For want of a nail the shoe was lost. 
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.  
For want of a horse the rider was lost.  
For want of a rider the battle was lost.  
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.  
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Two days ago was Haircut Day, when I put on my best dress and went on down to Michigan Avenue for a haircut at Vidal Sassoon (have I mentioned, I am doing my best to soak up the most possible fun in my last month here in this great city?)  I have some really cute shoes to go with that cute dress, but they are still in Kentucky at my daughter's house, because I hadn't dreamed I would need them before returning to my old job - she's bringing them to me before I move.  Lacking those cute shoes, I went through my stuff and found a pair of black Keds with white trim.  Cute enough.  I liked the look, and didn't discover until a little before noon that those Keds make sores on top of my left big toe and on the back of my right heel.  So I was the bandaid queen that day, stepping carefully as I went.  

Yesterday I didn't run because I had heard thunder and lighting a little more than an hour before run time - and it doesn't take much to talk Karen's Early Morning Brain into skipping the run.  So I knew I had to get up and get to it this morning, if I were to have any prayer of making 3 runs this week.  

When I slid my foot into my tennis shoe - OWWWW there was that not-quite-healed blister, singing LOUD.  Tough moment.  Easy to think maybe I should give the foot another day to heal, in order to avoid making a worse wound that might take me out of the game longer.  But the urgency of needing to get 3 runs in this week was loud, so I fiddled with my sock quite a bit and limped off down the hall, stopping several times before I got out of my building to fiddle with my sock some more. 


Good news:  once I got to really walking, the blister stopped singing and all was well.  I did it!  Hot and muggy already at 5:40, but I did it, it's done, I didn't miss it, and my foot didn't get worse!

Three cheers for perseverance, even if it IS only by the skin of my teeth.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment