Saturday, February 5, 2011

come on....we can get along...

Dear Body,


I know you are frustrated at my choices lately.  First there was the matter of the giant slices of moist-looking chocolate cake with chocolate frosting that I bypassed on Thursday night.  I know you were yelling for one and scheming all along about getting one of those oversized pieces.  It was hard for me not to play along with what you wanted...but it's not best for you.


And then came the trauma of passing up the possibility of a deliciously decadent breakfast this morning...I know, we had it all figured out that we could even have it delivered, and enjoy it in bed.  I know you're not grateful that my exercise class was scheduled at 10 AM and wrecked our scheme.  I didn't like that either.  But hey...look at the double bonus we got...we avoided lots of calories/carbs/sugar, AND we made it through the entire hour of the workout for the first time.  I'm thinking that should move us toward progress and not just maintaining, eh?  


Yeah, I know, you don't like it.


You were awfully loud at lunch when I didn't pick up potato chips.  Yes, I am aware that salty chips to go with salty dill pickles... it's just about the greatest treat ever on earth.  I know, I know.  I wanted them too.  Did you really have to keep bugging me and bugging me, all afternoon, with your regrets about missing the chips?  That seems unnecessarily needy and whiny to me.  

Body, I know we haven't been friends very much of the time, for a very long time.  I know that it's my fault...I haven't kept up my part of the relationship.  You've always been there for me, and I've neglected you along the way.  I've helped you to expect to always get your way.  


That was wrong.  It wasn't fair to you, and it wasn't fair to me.  I've been a jerk.


I know you don't understand this right now, body.  You're just going to have to trust me...one of these days, we are going to love each other again...nope...again is not the right word.  We are going to find what I can't recall us ever having for more than a little while - joy in one another.

Until you can believe, that, body, just try to listen to the friends that keep offering encouragement and a bit of accountability.  They're smarter than we are right now.


We can do it, body.  We've got Someone, and someones, on our side.  Hang in there.


much love (by choice, trusting the rest will follow...)


k

No comments:

Post a Comment