Thursday, May 9, 2013

nothin but just straight up braggin here

I ran this morning, because yesterday morning I was too tired from a late previous night.  I woke up ready to run.  Dug out my summer-weight run wear, since I had slept with the windows open all night.  Saw out the window that it had rained while I slept.  I love wet mornings. 

I started out with a simple goal:  run 3.5 miles.  I had done something like 3.37 last time, so I knew this was only a small change in increment.  Very doable.  

Then, as I ran, I decided I really wanted to try for 4 miles.  Just for kicks and giggles.  Just to prove to myself that I could do that without stopping. It was a perfect day for it - there was a cool, light rain.  Just enough to make me feel like a rockstar or a badass or whatever, but not enough to be miserable.

A difficulty with increasing my runs is that of course Karen's Brain Does Not Think Well at that hour, so I didn't have a systematic approach.  Just snaked around the neighborhood, crossed the bridge, ran around the block on the other side of the bridge, crossed back over, and snaked around the neighborhood again. 

The little voice on my "Map My Run" app only speaks up at the mile markers.  So that's not tremendously helpful, for knowing if I'm getting close to a mark.  As a result, I was further away from home than I intended to be when I hit the 4 mile mark.  Oops.  So I ended up accidentally running 4.39 miles.  If you want to check it out, this morning's run is available.  :-)  

A fun thing for me:  3 of the 4 miles were under 17 minutes.  An even funner thing for me:  1 of the miles was under 16 minutes!  WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Yeah, I know some of you out there run marathons and such.  And that's cool.  But I'm a big freakin deal this morning, because this overweight, middle-aged lady with arthritis in both feet just rocked new thresholds in uninterrupted running.

Color me happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment