Wednesday, November 21, 2012

karen's beans and rice recipe

I make this on the weekend and then eat throughout the week.  Totally vegan, cheaper than cheap, almost no work at all, highly satisfying and nicely spicy, pretty darn good for you.  It's my own adaptation of a recipe I found on the internet. 
 
The picture doesn't do it justice - I generally add a smidge of water before microwaving a bowl of it, and today I added too much.  But if I put off posting this, who KNOWS when it's going to happen!  Trust me.  It's yummy!  

BEANS AND RICE

1 (1 lb) bag dried pinto beans
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilis
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon garlic, minced (kind in jar is okay)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning blend
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash
1 large onion, chopped

Rinse beans in colander.

Put in a crock pot.

Cover with water, plus about 2 inches over top of beans.

Add all ingredients except the can of Rotel.  Truth:  I don't even bother stirring.  Just put the spices in first, everything else on top, and it's FINE.
 
Cook on low in crock pot about 8-12 hours until tender. (Overnight is what I do - you can stir and even add water a bit, but I generally don't bother them.)

Add the can of Rotel (no need to drain it first).  Stir.  Turn crockpot up to high setting.  Cook about 4 more hours.

Serve atop cooked brown rice (well...you COULD choose white rice...but brown is so much better for you!  Come on!)


No comments:

Post a Comment